Monday, August 4, 2008

Laziness prevails

While going to OCC, I finally decided I would major in Criminal Justice. I decided to do so because for the first time ever, I felt passionate about something. Law enforcement, crime, victimology, criminology, crime scene technology...I love learning about it, talking about, I love all of it.

When I graduated from OCC, I planned on going to U of M Dearborn and majoring in Criminal Justice with the hopes of getting into crime scene technology. In Michigan, civilians are not hired as crime scene technicians so to be one, you either have to be a cop or you have to get a job with a federal agency.

After thinking everything over, I decided that 1) I didn't want to go to Dearborn for school and 2) I would never be able to get a federal job because a) they are hard to come by with a lot of competition and b) it would require way too much work on my part to try and get a federal job.

So I looked in Central Michigan University, Metro Detroit. Campuses all over, 8 week classes, and a program that seemed interesting and not very complicated. Mind you, the program had nothing to do with Criminal Justice. I decided to go that route because I wanted the shorter classes and wanted to get out of school asap.

Flash to the present. I'm (hopefully) about 9 months from graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Community Development. I can go on to work at a non-profit or any type of community service agency. Great, grand, wonderful.

Not.

I feel like I've made a mistake. I gave up just about the one and only thing I'm passionate about. Sure, I could technically get some type of masters degree in Criminal Justice or law. But that's more damn school. And for those who are counting, I've already been going since 2001...and I'm still undergrad. I can't just switch my major...that would be unbelievably retarded with 6 classes.

Laziness has prevailed and I gave up something I could have loved. Awesome.

No comments: