Monday, November 3, 2008

In the words of Whitesnake, "Is this love?"

I began pondering the question, "When is it time to say 'I love you'"?

I think it's safe to say that there is a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. In a relationship, is it okay to say I love you to someone because you feel you love them, even if you aren't in love with them? Or is it more appropriate to wait until you feel you are in love with that person. I also wonder if there's a certain time schedule for which those three little (yet, completely significant) words should be said...

Is it ridiculous to love or be in love with someone after only a few months together? Is six months the proper or rather more appropriate time for those words to first be uttered to one another?

In addition to the above mentioned questions, I am the type of person who analyzes things to the point of ridiculousness. In this case, aside from wondering when to say 'I love you', I also ponder the questions, "do I truly feel this or do I just want to be feeling it?" Is it real, or just a creation out of desire? I never know what I feel, what I should feel, when I should feel it, if I'm correct in those feelings, and if and when I should voice those feelings.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I think you say it when you feel it. I'm not of the mind of holding back. My husband and I said I love you after 1 week...which may sound totally crazy, but we "just knew" as some say. I think there's no right or wrong answer, everyone is different, you have to just follow your heart.

Sarah said...

I agree with the question of whether you truly feel it or you just desire to feel it. But I also agree with the previous comment- when you know, you just know.

My first love was my greatest love (so far, I'm hoping for a greater love in my future) and we said the L word within the first month. We both knew it was crazy to be feeling that way so early, but it felt right.

Follow your heart, not your over-analyzing head. :-D

metrogal84 said...

I give you...the letter B (for Bri!) :)

Anonymous said...

I waited over a year to say it, even though I felt it. Was terrified. Absolutely terrified. And even now months later, we still don't say it often. But I know when I do say it, I really really mean it.