Sunday, September 16, 2012

The First Step is to Actually Start

My Aunt Karen read my 'Version 2.0' post last weekend and subsequently sent me a rather helpful tip from Zen Habits titled The Habit of Starting. It goes without saying that often times, actually starting a new habit/regimen/way of living, is extremely difficult. The first step is actually starting

From the above mentioned post on Zen Habits:

"What do I mean by starting? If you want to form the habit of meditation, just get your butt on the cushion each day. If you want to form the habit of running, just lace up your shoes and get out the door. If you want to form the habit of writing, just sit down, close everything else on your computer, and start typing."

Last Monday, I did my first "training day" for the Couch-to-5k program. My friend Sarah, who lives nearby, is also using this program and training for a 5k so we decided we'd start training together. It's SO helpful to do this with someone. The 20 minutes of alternated walking and jogging went by so much faster and felt so much easier running with someone. In addition, I think it naturally pushes you to work harder; it's sort of a built-in competition! At the end of our first training, I felt really really great, for multiple reasons. In thinking ahead of how the training would feel, I figured I would have a really hard time with it, simply because I haven't work out consistently in a really long time. I assumed I'd have to stop in the middle or I'd be way behind Sarah because my endurance is shot. I'm pleased to say that neither of those things happened. I also felt really great mentally; I'm actually doing this. I'm off the couch, I'm outside while we still have nice weather, I'm training for a 5k, and I'm doing something positive for myself!

I'm proud to say that I ran 3 times last week and even one night by myself! Well, not actually by myself; I took Bailey with me and I know her overabundance of energy could use the workout. :) I'm also going to run today, in about 20 minutes. I'm ignoring the fact that it's a little warm out for a run and just doing it. I keep telling myself, "I'm running a 5k, I'm running a 5k, I'm running a 5k."
I owe it to myself to push through and to keep going. I owe it to myself to succeed. I won't quit. 


No comments: